I went to Salt Lake City last week and, as I have said before, it is really a gorgeous city. If you haven't been and have in your mind that it can't be anything worthy of a blog entry, think again. Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the city, but suffice it to say the University of Utah campus was gorgeous and, as always, the people were super nice. My friend Lauren tells me Mormons are especially nice as it is a religious tenet of sorts to be nice to everyone. And they ain't playin.
Anyway, we ended up staying at a Kimpton hotel. If you haven't been to one, they are awesome. Each is totally unique and funky. Trip and I stayed at one on the wharf in San Fran and loved it. This one will hook you up if you are feeling lonely. . . with a goldfish. Get your mind out of the gutter. Here was my little friend.
I was worried that I wouldn't have a friend in the morning, as he was barely moving in the bowl. He stayed right where you see him in this picture. In fact, I was so worried that I moved him from next to the bed to the other room (yes, I said room. I had a pretty fancy room with a sitting area). Fortunately for my "friend" and me, he was alive in the morning. Whew. Another interesting thing about the hotel was that while the girl I was traveling with and I were in the hotel bar eating (aside- did you know that you have to be a member of a "private club" to drink in Utah? What's up with that?), a group of men came in. As my boss would say, they looked like they had been ridden hard and put to bed wet. I had said they looked like roadies. Apparently I was right- Metallic was staying in the hotel. Interesting combo- SLC and Metallic. Rock on, my friends.
I also got back last night from the Amelia Island med mal convention. I skipped out on the last night but got a call from the boss this morning to inform me that things got crazy last night and that he had needed his wingman, Trip (last time this happened Trip was there to keep things under control and to make sure he got back to his hotel without police intervention). When the Ritz kicks you out of the bar, you know you have had one drink too many.
As for this upcoming week, I am looking forward to just one trip, to Atlanta, and a free weekend. This traveling is wearing my wimpy bee-hind out.