Monday, November 24, 2008

Livin' the Retired Life

Although I absolutely L-O-V-E the community where we live, I am beginning to see how much of it still remains the retirement community it was originally planned to be. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of young couples and families who live out here on the island, but I seem to have more memorable encounters with the retired ones. I guess when you see more than a few folks "walking" their dogs by running them beside the golf cart they are driving (with a cooler riding shotgun), you take notice. Or maybe it's the fact that they seem to actually strive to drive under the posted 30 mph speed limit, drink hard liquor and wine for lunch, and wear orange vests with reflective stripes while out walking at 4:30 pm that catches my attention. Maybe I have almost hit one too many golfers in their modified turbo fast golf carts while they fire across the road without even a glance down the road. Or, maybe I find memorable the fact that the older, and, er, large gentleman who runs the wine shop out here told Trip that he had his golf cart "lifted" and large blingy rims put on the tires. And that he wanted to install neon lights under the cart but was denied that wonderment, circa 1992, by his wife. Or, finally, perhaps it is that come any holiday, you will see individual golf carts decked out in more holiday cheer (especially for the fourth of July) than I have seen displayed in entire neighborhoods.
Regardless, I do love my home and all the wonderful things this community offers. So the retired folk can just stop giving me dirty looks when I ride their bumpers and walk my yippy dogs past their houses without the protection of poop bags. I'm not going anywhere.