Saturday, April 11, 2009

Annivesary!

Shame on me. Shame. I apologize for not posting for over a month. I have been busier than a one-handed monkey. And it is only going to get worse, so I am throwing a post or two in now before things get even crazier. We have a two week trial coming up and I am S-W-A-M-P-E-D.

But on to better things. . . Trip and I celebrated our FIRST WEDDING ANNIVERSARY on March 29th! We decided to head to Atlanta. We knew it wasn't the most romantic city in the world, but it was perfect and just what we wanted. We went to the Bodies exhibit:
I know, strange. But I loved it. I am a geek and refuse to apologize for it. I like this photo because the bodies look happily playful. Can't you just hear a "wheeee" coming from them? Mind you, these are real, preserved bodies. The whole time we were there Trip kept saying they looked Asian and it turns out they are. How 'bout that? If you are interested in seeing more photos, just google it. Very cool.

We then saw the King Tut exhibit and the Terra Cotta Army exhibit. We loved King Tut- it was pretty amazing. It is mind boggling that the items we were looking at were more than 4000 years old.
If I am not mistaken, which is always a strong possibility, this is one of the "tombs" that held one of King Tut's organs. Creepy, but cool. Admit it.

The Terra Cotta exhibit, on the other hand, was not really what we hoped it would be. It was entirely too crowded and just not nearly as interesting as King Tut. I think we might have liked it better if we had not seen King Tut first. If you don't know about this exhibit (I didn't), it is about a Chinese emperor who was buried with thousands of terra cotta warriors, horses, chariots, and so on, to protect him in the afterlife.
Okay, so this is not exactly what we saw, since this is the excavation site in China, but I think it gives a good idea of how powerful it must have looked.

We ate at great restaurants (I had a mojito so good I seriously considered cheating on Trip with it) and just had a blast. We drove home on Sunday, which was the actual date of our anniversary. So, ever the traditionalists (we even stuck with the traditional first anniversary gift of paper), we got out the top of our wedding cake. Thanks to my mom's three layer wrap job (multiple layers of press-n-seal, tin foil and a freezer proof baggie), I kid you not, the cake was as moist and delicious as the day of our wedding (possibly even better I dare say).
Thanks Mom!

So, needless to say that although unconventional, we just had the most wonderful anniversary weekend. You often hear that the first year is the hardest, as you are learning about the other person, how best to communicate and so on. Judging from the happy first year that we had, I think we are off to a great start and I look forward to many more to come. I love you Trip!