Friday, May 8, 2009

Smiling faces, beautiful places. . .

Again, I must apologize, as I know that it has been over a month since my last entry. If you are still checking the blog, cheers to hanging in there. I am getting back into the swing of things now so hopefully I will have more regular posts.
I promised some folks a while back that I would share some photos from my photography workshop in Beaufort and Hunting Island, SC conducted by nature photographer Richard Bernabe. (PS- the title of this post used to be on the SC license plate in case you were wondering about that). He was fabulous and my friends Maria and Maggie and I had more fun than anyone would have thought possible. I would imagine the others in the group are still talking about us (and I doubt in a good way). Regardless, in addition to having a blast, I learned a lot. However, in true Ali fashion, I must give some caveats, so here they are:
1) Some of these photos will be a little blurry because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing shooting in manual mode (at least in the beginning). I would rate my knowledge at the beginning of the day at 2%. I would rate it at a 15% at the end of the day. I might be back down to 6% now since I haven't done any more shooting . . .
2) I was waiting to figure out how to edit the photos with photoshop elements but I give up. Too complicated- I am clueless. So the photos are not touched up or, if anything, may have one or two tweaks only.
So, without further ado, here are a few:
This was one of the first photos I took and still remains my favorite due to the colors of the sky. It was pre-sunrise light which, I discovered, is really the best light for these kinds of shots.
This photo shows how the light changed once the sun started to come up. In particular, the bright blue was gone but the sky was still beautiful.

This was the beach after sunrise (actually less than hour later).
This was taken at the ruins of a church outside Beaufort, SC.
And last, but not least, some shots from the sunset that evening:
I hope that I was able to capture in these photos at least a sliver of the beauty we saw that day. I can't wait until next time. . .