Sunday, August 10, 2008

Practicing for parenthood

Here's the long and short of it. After my post about the extraordinary abilities of dogs, I had an extremely trying and rough morning with my sweet Daisy. I sent an email out about it and had some requests to post it onto the blog, so I've attached it after this entry.

Anyway, as for this morning, Bo apparently decided not to be outdone. It is a pretty sad state of affairs when you are in the midst of reading a book about how dogs communicate with humans and then your dog tries to tell you something and you are utterly clueless.

Bo jumped up on the bed this morning and would not leave me alone. Of course Trip did not even wake up, so it was up to me. I just thought he wanted to be annoying because he wasn't whining or anything. I pushed him off the bed and about three minutes later was overwhelmed by the smell of poop (have I mentioned that I have an unusually sophisticated sense of smell- not the "superhuman" skill I would have chosen). He let it go, through both modes of exit, everywhere. But I did not dry heave during the entire clean up process! Are we proud? Okay, so Trip handled about 90% of the cleanup, but I did come into the room to give him some carpet cleaners. I think perhaps the chip clip on my nose might have had something to do with my victory against the heaves. Heaves- 1, Ali-1. Anyway, no worries, we plan to take them to the vet to make sure everything is okay. Hopefully this will be the last "poop post."

Past Email:

This one goes out to my friends who have babies and those, and you know who you are (Kanda), who dry heave like me. . .

So I thought about posting this to my blog, but decided that not everyone would appreciate it, especially in light of the fact that my last entry was about the amazing abilities of dogs. . . but I digress.

Last night my sweet little one, Daisy, was all snuggled up with me in the bed. Trip eventually came in and put her in her crate (she has to sleep there or else she roams the room at night). At about 3:30am she is whining and whimpering (which is quite unusual) so after listening to it for a while, I decide to let her out. She disappears around the corner and I fear I have lost her, yet again. But she returns and promptly pukes at the bottom of the deck and then again once she gets up on the deck (mind you, we have JUST had the deck re-stained). But I feel good about letting her out.

I get up this morning at the crack of dawn and check out her cage to make sure we’re all okay. Things are looking good. But when I return to the bedroom from eating breakfast I notice that Bo is up on the bed, standing alert. This is quite strange, I think. Oh well. So I finish getting ready and come back through the bedroom and am almost knocked over by the smell of poop. Uh oh. I look around and to my utter disgust, it is not what I thought. Daisy has puked, twice, in her crate. And not just any old puke- but poop puke. For any of you who have a dog that has indulged in poop eating, you might be able to commiserate with me on this one. It was right on the side of the crate that is closest to Bo. It was almost as if she was aiming for him, which explains him being on the bed and as far away from her as possible.

Of course, I am not planning on handling this one by myself- oh hell, no. I will not suffer alone. So I scream for Trip to get up. I think I am getting out of it easy because I get to take the dogs outside while Trip cleans up the poopy puke in the bedroom. But, oh no. After cleaning the carpet, he lays the bed out in the hallway. Now, if you know me well enough, I have always prided myself on my ability to talk about or look at anything gross and not flinch. HOWEVER, something has changed. If I even get a whiff of something that smells, I will get the dry heaves. This morning was a true test of my sheer willpower. I fold up the bed and put it in a trash bag (neither one of us was going to let that touch the inside of a washing machine) and here come the dry heaves. And it wasn’t just like the usual heaves, it was the real, pre-puke heaves. You know, the ones that produce that pre-puke gurgling sound. Tears were rolling down my face and I think I pulled a couple muscles in my neck trying to restrain myself. It took all my mental reserves not to let it all go right there in the kitchen- but, I persevered. I was truly proud.

And that was my morning. Did I mention that I totally think I am ready for kids?